Wednesday, 28 November 2007

Doubly Disgraceful.

More than a month has gone by since my last post. I'm sure I've squandered my audience of five by now, let's see if I can win you back.

I was out with my Norwegian friend the other night in Finsbury Park where we staged a miniature pub crawl; one beer at each of three bars and then we called it a very tame Friday night. We were walking down Stroud Green Road, sober as Mormons, recapping our evening and chuckling at each other's bad jokes when something plunked me on the chest and I heard a man shout "Gay!" followed, a few seconds later (I guess he hadn't fully formulated his witty epithet) by "Boy!" I looked at my sweater and then at the ground, and there I saw a shattered egg at my feet. No yolk on me whatsoever! I was amazed. Never before had I had an egg thrown at me and my first experience netted no sweater yolk at all. I was oddly disappointed until we reached the corner of Stroud Green Road and Other Similarly British Sounding Road where we encountered a tipsy man holding a baseball cap covered in egg, and his companion (presumably girlfriend) bent at the waist combing yolk from her hair. It didn't look fun. They'd been pelted, I'd merely been grazed.

I kept trying to be angry about the whole ridiculous situation but it never happened, it was all too odd to be offensive. The next day I saw broken eggs all over the sidewalks of my neighborhood and felt a surging sense of camaraderie with my invisible fellow victims.

That's all for now. I don't want to go overboard, considering I'm just getting back into the swing.

I'll talk at you again soon.

4 comments:

jesse said...

was everybody gay, either before or after getting pelted with eggs?

Anonymous said...

You're right, I can't believe I still check for updates. Then again, I'm not dissapointed.

Leonie said...

Oh thank god that sandwich was making me nauseous. You people seriously eat those two together?

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the 3 beers on a pub crawl. What's happened to you??

Betsy said...

This is very funny. Speaking of Norwegians - I went to a party for Norwegian mechinal engineers (obviously I was a shoe in) but anyway, I was talking about how only 3.06 percent of the student population are black students (800 something) at Berkeley (messed up, right?) and some dude said, "Yes, that is because they are all in jail." He was completely serious.

True story.