Wednesday, 16 May 2007

Everyone at the post office is angry. Always.

And why?


Why get angry at the post office? I understand our collective baditude towards the RMV (or DMV, depending) but why was there a woman in her 50s cursing, mercilessly at the stamp machine today? And why was the almost-elderly fella behind me huffing and puffing and making no secret of his incredulity that the line wasn't moving faster? The post office is supposed to be a pleasant place to spend an hour or so, right? Or am I making this up?

But I missed all this. I missed understanding what people were saying. I missed the shades of impatience that were, I'm sure, present in other countries but were, for me, completely unintelligible.

I also missed motorists giving the middle finger.

And strangers talking to me about the weather on street corners.

And barristas asking me what I'd like and when I say "A medium black coffee to go" asking me "Do you want room for cream?"

These are the things people hate but they're the things I love and when I'm away from them I miss them desperately, as though there's an aching void in my mid-section. I guess this is what people mean when they talk about "loving to hate" things.

Other things worth missing that I can't imagine anyone hating include, but are not limited to;

a) Hot dog vendors

b) thunderstorms

c) a ballgame on the radio (Sox down 4-1 at press time but I still love the sounds)

d) New England spring

That's enough.

Talk at you soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

BOY, do I ever hear that! hitting switches! Yup, that's what it's about. I'll sex up some hot dog vending, radio broadcasting, non-tourist season massachusetts visiting, stupid question asking, postage stamp knowing what is-ing, mofo's TONIGHT! yup I will.

Anonymous said...

painfully and slowly entering the 21st century. I get it. this one posts. the other one sends. OK.