Monday, 17 September 2007

By the power of Grayskull

I've had the theme music to He-Man stuck in my head for the better part of today and with good reason. Earlier today I met Dolph Lundgren.

Maybe you missed such hits as Masters of the Universe, Universal Soldier and... others I'm sure (probably with universe in the title).

here's a clip to jog your memory:



Ah, that was nice, wasn't it.

See, Dolph is one of my company's clients and he happened to be in London today. I bet there was a reason for his visit other than to meet me but what-the-hell-ever. Whenever my boss said "hey, why don't you come on down and meet Dolph" I immediately said "Yes! I love Bladerunner!" My boss looked a bit confused and then quickly said "Oh, no, that's Rutger Hauer." But I played it off legit and went on down to meet the man.

He's huge. If he'd wanted to he could have ripped my arms off. Luckily he didn't want to. Or, if he did, he restrained himself.

After shaking his hand there was an uncomfortable second when it seemed like he was going to hug me but he was actually just setting his magazine down. From there it was smooth sailing!

I was starstruck which was weird because I'm not really a big fan of his but, in a way, I think this makes sense; we would be more starstruck by someone we know nothing about than someone whose work we've loved and enjoyed and memorized and recited in front of a mirror in the hopes that one day we'll be cast as, oh let's say Michael J. Foxx or Matthew Broderick, in the movie about their life.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I thought you were kidding about meeting the DL. But I thinks your story to be true now. Now I feel silly having sent you that link, it is I that am schooled.

jesse said...

1) did you know dolph lundgren got a fulbright to MIT? true story. muscles AND brains, who wouldn't swoon?

2) did you know my cat is named grayskull?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow, I really DO only picture Rutger Hauer when I think of Dolph Lundgren. Did he play the pinko in "Rocky #Fights the Russian for America"? With the cheekbones?
Nope, it's all Rutger in my head. C beams glittering off the Tannhauser gate, all those memories of Dolf lost like tears in teh rain. Time. to...die....

Anonymous said...

Waitaminitwaitaminit what company? I though you were hammering nails for Kristie's pop or something?