Wednesday, 11 July 2007

Words

I was watching "Dog the Bounty Hunter" on TV last night and it got me thinking about the word "douchebag." That word's had a bit of a renaissance in the last couple of years, hasn't it? I first noticed its resurgence on The Daily Show, John Stewart seems to favor it in reference to... well, douchebags. It's hard to think of a more appropriate term for the Dick Cheneys of the world.

This got me thinking about other words that have made a comeback. "Doye," for example. That was big when I was in elementary school and I started hearing people use it again a few years back. "Boss" is another one. And I've been pushing "bitchin'" for what seems like forever.

I decided I'd make a list of words and phrases that I'd like to start hearing again. So here's my list of things-people-used-to-say-that-are-due-for-a-comeback. Please feel free to add to the list:

  • Tubular
  • Gag me with a spoon (Valleygirlese)
  • "Very" as an adjective (as used in the film "Heathers")
  • As if (may already have rejoined the slang lexicon... slaxicon? hmm... Slangsicon?)
OK. Now it's your turn.

8 comments:

evolve or die said...

I like:

No, you didn't . . .

and

I don't THINK so (heavy irony on think)

and my fave . . .

what would Scoody Doo?

I'm just wrong aren't eye . . .

Dean Fearce said...

we need a new word to explain the situation of living virtually with multiple online identities, huh? and blogging, etc. with mistaken notions of the identity you're occupying at the moment of blog. . .I'm already confounded. . . this is work for younger minds . . .

jesse said...

'No you didn't' is one of my favorites, replete with mock-incredulous shaking of head.

What about saying 'That shit is craisins!' when you mean it's crazy? I think this one had a very select user pool, but it's time for a resurgence.

Sarah said...

bad larry and ka-caw. ka-caw i never mastered, bad larry i only know too well.

Leonie said...

'Doye' never made it to Australia - Is that like 'der'? I've regressed back to saying 'YOU are' everytime my bloke says anything mildly offensive...

Anonymous said...

I just hate that I can't comment anonymously.

Anonymous said...

No but seriously, I like "fresh".

Anonymous said...

C U Next Tuesday is one of my personal favorites.

Also (and this isn't old but something I think we should start) Bong. This means someone past their early twenties who still acts likes a teenager, as in "He's 28 but he still goes to Burning Man. He's a total bong."