If you're American and you want to sound 1)awkward, 2) pretentious and 3) clunky all you need to do is try to use the word 'cheers' the same way Brits do. So here's my advice to my fellow Americans: only say cheers at the end of a toast, never use it in place of 'goodbye' or 'thanks', it just sounds wrong. Also, avoid 'bloody' at all costs unless you are describing someone/thing that happens to be covered in blood. And if that's the case, what the hell are you doing hanging around describing things?! Call a damned ambulance, Chuck!
Here's another one that's got to go: Absolutely. As in:
"Will you pick up some turnips from the turnip man?"
"Absolutely!"
Honestly. Is everything so exciting these days that a simple "yes" can't begin to convey your enthusiasm for a visit to the turnip man?
I'm not even going to get into the misuse of 'literally'. That one has just gone nuclear. OK. Maybe I am going to get into a little. I didn't literally rip your head off for misusing 'literally'. I figuratively ripped your head off. I literally punched you in the face.
1 comment:
speaking as an American here, i suppose i misuse Literally. Literally has almost replace "swear to God"
but Basically is becoming just as popular. but i never use "cheers" and i'm not gonna even elaborate when i (a female) use bloody. heehee (eww)
Post a Comment